Badinage

A li'l bit of this that and that

Sunday, June 18, 2006

life's little lessons

I would hardly even pick it up from the refrigerator myself. I need royal treatment when I am studying. This is a favour I do (for whom I don't exactly know.) Otherwise also the walk till the kitchen is too long and it kinda tires me. Chilled, firm, saccharine sweet, toothsome, neatly peeled Alfonsos cut into cubes, mixed with condensed milk, shredded cashewnuts and almonds served in China ware dishes. This is one of my all time favourite desserts. Still I'd fuss about how mom lacks ideas and made it so often and how her over feeding was responsible for my cellulite. I hated it when at times the cubes got soggy.

Now, eating even the local variety mango is almost a luxury. I consult my friend behind me in the queue to make the best choice. After all this has to compensate for the sad dinner. The mess worker makes a face. I have half a mind to take longer and return her frown. But i choose to ignore. I pick one up after detailed examination and leave. No elaborate dissection, no garnishing. Rip it with hands and chew the pulp off the peel. Handling the slippery seed, trickling of juice till the elbow and fibre between teeth are my new skills.

This is one of the things my stay is the hostel has showed me - to look forward to and enjoy the messy experience. I also terribly appreciate good cooking. Sounds like one of those Tinkle's "humbling of the haughty girl" types, doesn't it?

6 Comments:

  • At 1:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    too much gauri,. too much,. ;) u r just too good,. same here,. even now i make a big fuss at home to do a mighty simple job,. lazy bum,.

     
  • At 3:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oooooo... delicate darling.. lazy bum:)

     
  • At 5:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i swear!!i know how lazy you were and you still are..:-)and upon that,do you remember how amma used to feed you dinners at night?and that cuppa horlicks..good old days g..nan putti neenu..

     
  • At 5:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i swear!!i know how lazy you were and you still are..:-)and upon that,do you remember how amma used to feed you dinners at night?and that cuppa horlicks..good old days g..nan putti neenu..

     
  • At 7:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Little did I know, that my L'il sis,
    Had so much in her, that all these years I missed!

    She writes beautifully, and makes me so proud...
    Is it then a surprise that she draws such a crowd?

    Lovely and sweet is my little girl,
    All of you surely know, she is OUR PEARL!

     
  • At 3:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    have fun eating the hostel food girl.it gets good as you go along. :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home