Badinage

A li'l bit of this that and that

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Joy to the world

One of our teachers is taking the initiative. It is preparation for a performance during Christmas. Anybody interested from any faculty could register. PGs and staff members will volunteer too. I have joined the choir last week. The previous session was in the maestro's house.

It was an elaborately decorated and heavily furnished hall. Glossy wooden furniture, guitars, piano, flowers, cushions and people had jammed the place. All the wall hangings, posters were in praise of Jesus and spoke about the nobility and holiness of Christianity. There were crosses everywhere. She started playing the piano. Low notes. So that more of singing could be heard. Voices set off on "Joy to the world...."

I myself used to keep a cross. About six years ago, my brother met with a near fatal accident. The car had taken certain somersaults on a National highway in Bangalore. He was admitted in St.John's. Everybody believes in the power of a prayer in crisis and this was a big one. I vividly remember the scenes which played in the time between those two phone calls. One which informed about the mishap and the other much later from the doctor who had said nobody was going to die, as we were driving down to Bangalore. For the first time I actually prayed in a church. In the hospital church. After the discharge, this cross was bought from the hospital gift store. For rememberance and gratitude. When I moved back home after pre university college, I had kept it along with other idols in the pooja room. One of my uncles had got deeply offended.

I am tolerant. But no matter how much I tried to shrug off the feeling during practice that day, I felt mildly restless. I like the way they pray, the churches, the quiet a lot. But somehow I was not OK with the preaching and influencing. Not that anybody was thrusting it on me. I went there myself. It was maybe because of my own lack of that kind of religiousness and sincerity. I do not associate myself strongly with anything. Every influence in mixed.

Coming to think of it, we celebrate Ganesh Chaturthi in college like it is the ultimate universal festival and everyone actually joins in gladly. So what harm will a little glimpse and few songs do.

4 Comments:

  • At 12:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hospitals have gift stores?
    Now thats new!

     
  • At 10:15 AM, Blogger Vibha said…

    Hey.. Acchi left a comment on my blog saying he is NOT VJ and you should not be mad at him :) Actually VJ is my friend Vijay.

     
  • At 10:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    They're casting for sister act 4!!!!
    I understand the preaching and thrusting, Everyday.....

     
  • At 2:08 AM, Blogger tropical seagull said…

    a few songs will just make you feel happy and glad that everyone is safe and sound and sitting around to make life a little more beautiful.
    i'm glad its happening!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home