Badinage

A li'l bit of this that and that

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The eyes saw what the mind did not know

On the fourth day of our posting we were told to have a look at the in patients. There was a general ward which was locked and guarded. Assuming that might be it, I asked the guard before entering, "Idu psychiatry ward alwa?" He replied after some thought, "Alla. Idu mental ward."

Being the 'baby juniors' (as some like to call us) we were given simple instructions about making conversation with these people. As I went to my assigned bed and looked at the smiling person sitting there, I somehow knew I was going to remember this for quite some time. He was shabbily dressed, wore 2 shirts one over the other, cheerful, eager to talk. His case sheet read he was 60, married, no issues, used to work as a representative for a pharmaceutical company. He was one amongst the 20 others who were diagnosed of Schizophrenia, which arguably is the worst disease that can affect mankind, AIDS not excepted.

He spoke broken English and refused to talk in any other language. His replies to our repeated queries regarding his name, occupation, marital status were never the same. According to him, he is Seethramaiah (Congress president). His wife is Hema Malini. He has 2 children. (He even told us their names and education.) He had a Citizen watch which worked only outside India, i.e in Maharashtra. He was previously in Italy. He could speak 14 languages. Edward 'General' invented injection and he invented the thermometer. He travelled only in helicopters and he had one lakh rupees in his SBI account. He even wrote a comprehension on 'Lotus - my favourite flower'. He also made some diagrams. We were visibly amused with his responses and he was enjoying the attention.

He is totally not in touch with reality and has no insight to his illness whatsover. His script was unintelligible. But he read from it and when we asked him to re read the whole thing again he precisely repeated the same sentences. He had drawn some flowers and a picture of the brain. The brain was a big ball with small lines over it. He had tried to depict the sulci! We were amazed at the intricate details and the creativity of his writing. He gave us a mini speech in the end. He addressed us as "Ladies and gentlemen, brothers and sisters, my colleagues" and repeated it thrice. He gave us tips to stay slim and how important that is to lead a healthy life. He ended it by asking us how they could put him in this ward when he could speak such fluent English and talk intelligently. He looked at me and asked, "Do you think I'm mental person?" I did not know what to say. I just shook my head.

Sir later told us, his other side would be seen when his wife came to visit him. She has started working to make ends meet and afford his stay in the private hospital. He is violent/arrogant, mouths the foulest possible words to her. He has paranoia of persecution. If at all a disaster has to occur, partner's physical handicap is so very easier to care for, support and cope with, I thought. Atleast your spouse would understand. God doesn't leave us with choices at times.

It was time for us to leave. Sir asked us to give him a sweet or something. That would make him happy. I wished I was carrying something. None of us had candy. I asked him if he would like to have biscuits. He refused. Then with child like innocence he peeped into my apron pockets and asked me what I had got. I took out the remaining 2-3 Good day biscuits with the wrapper. The glazing cover attracted him. He grinned, grabbed it and said he would take it since I gave it with love. As we turned to leave, he tapped on my back and whispered, "Madam, not to mistake because I said the love." I felt a smile spreading on my face, assured him I wouldn't and left.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    looks like someone's havin fun at psychiatry..!!..good goin..touchin hearts and all..wish i get some of those biscuits..as well..lol..:-)).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home